When it comes to things to do in Lake Placid, you’ve got plenty of options. But sometimes, a day trip might be the best idea, depending on what you like to do on vacations. If you and your family are into visiting parks and other natural wonders, Ausable Chasm is known as the “Grand Canyon of the Adirondacks.” It’s only an hour drive from our lodge in Lake Placid, so take a day trip to one of the best family attractions in upstate NY and choose one a few of these Ausable Chasm things to do.
Rock Climbing, Hiking Trails and More
Ausable Chasm has plenty of things to see, ranging from waterfalls at Rainbow Falls and hidden pathways at Mystic Gorge. Depending on how you’d like to get to these spots, here are all the ways you can venture through Ausable Chasm.
- Rock Climbing – If your family hasn’t had much experience rock climbing, sign up for the Adventure Trail. Geared towards families and people that haven’t climbed before, the program offers a cargo net climb, cable bridges, and edge walks. More experienced climbers can sign up for 1.5-hour or 3-hour slots, working their way over the river or scaling smaller walls.
- Hiking – Ausable Chasm offers hiking trails spanning 1 to 5 miles. Self-guided hikes through the Dry Chasm, Rim Walk or Inner Sanctum trails let you spend as much time absorbing nature and taking pictures as you like. Enjoy the fleeting warm temperatures of summer out in the wilderness. Or, wait until fall to see the changing colors and what might be one of the best fall hikes in New York.
- Tubing – If your kids are fish out of water, spend a leisurely afternoon floating down the Ausable River on individual tubes or group rafts. Keep in mind, rafting is the quicker option. The website warns that you will get wet, so don’t plan on getting away unscathed.
- Night Hiking – Get in your last summertime s’more on the Lantern Tour. On this tour, hikes begin at dusk, and finish when everyone gathers around the campfire. Walk beside the rushing waters of the Ausable River while you take in the glow of the moon and your lantern on the water. Although weekend tours don’t allow kids, sign up for a mid-week or a private tour. This way, the whole family can experience this magical option of Ausable Chasm things to do.
- Classic Tour – If you’d rather get a taste of all of the Ausable Chasm things to do, sign up for the Classic Tour. This tour provides guided hikes and rafts down the river for the best of both worlds.
Upstate New York Lodges
After a day of hiking, climbing, or floating down the river, return to Whiteface Lodge. Rest, recharge, and clean up after your hour drive back from the Chasm. Grab a bite at Kanu or Peak 47, depending on how formal you’d like the meal to be after your long day. Call us at 518-523-0505 or connect with us online to book.